For those who are unfamiliar with immigration law, immigration can be a complex and highly confusing subject. There are specific laws which dictate which visas are available, the qualifications for obtaining those visas, and the process which must be followed to be granted a visa. Knowing which of the multiple visas available would best suit your needs, understanding the difference between an immigrant visa and anon-immigrant visa, and correctly filling out the application can mean the difference in your visa application being approved or denied.

In order to assist you, we have compiled some of the most frequently asked questions our attorneys have received.

Can I take public transportation to your offices?

Yes, there are many ways to get to our offices.
For information about how to get here via public transportation go here

How do I enter an address for driving directions?

For more information about how to arrive by driving go here

Do you have parking?

Unfortunately we do not have our own parking facility. Because parking is so scarce in the area. You can get 2 hour street or meter parking around our offices. Please make sure to read signs for street sweeping days or other parking restrictions. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Accepted forms of payment

Cash, checks and the following credit cards: Visa and MasterCard.

What is the purpose of the initial case meeting?

It is to allow the attorney on your case to speak with you and obtain any further information necessary to determine whether we will agree to represent you on your case. Equally important, it is to provide you with the opportunity to ask any questions about your case or our office. It is helpful for you to bring with you to the meeting any documents, photographs, or other evidence relating to your claim.

What types of visas are available if I want to come to the U.S. for a visit or temporary stay?

If you wish to visit the United States temporarily or be granted entry for a very specific period of time, you will need a non-immigrant visa. Some of the most common types of non-immigrant visas are a student visa (should you be looking to further your education and skills), business investor visas (if you are planning on coming to the U.S. to invest in a business), or a travel visa (if you wish to do some traveling in the U.S.).

What type of visa should I get if I want to become a permanent U.S. resident?

Depending on your current immigration status or situation, there are a number of visas available to foreign nationals wishing to permanently immigrate to the United States. There is a fiancée visa (if you are a foreign national engaged to a U.S. citizen), family visas (if you have or are the relative of a U.S. citizen and wish to immigrate to the U.S.), a work visa (if you have unique skills or requirements which make you a hot commodity in a particular field or industry), and more.

I’m a permanent resident and would like to know if I can file a petition for my parents, do I have to wait until I become a US citizen before I can apply for them?

You must be a citizen to sponsor a parent.

I have a 12 year old US Citizen child. Can she sponsor me for a green card?

A child (or anyone) must be at least 21 years old to file a sponsor petition except that there is no minimum age to file a petition for a spouse.

My friend's visitor visa expired a few months ago. She wants to extend her stay in the US. She is pregnant and has a green card sponsor who wants to marry her. Can she claim medical condition and extend her stay and eventually convert her status to permanent residence?

If her stay has expired (she is past the date on her Form I-94) then she cannot extend her stay even for medical reasons…but if she enters into a genuine marriage to a US citizen, then she can apply for the green card here even if she has stayed past her I-94 date.

If I become a citizen, what are the privileges that I will experience?

There are three primary privileges that citizens are able to experience. These include being able to vote in local, state and national elections; having the ability to obtain a passport; and sponsoring relatives in their efforts to become a permanent resident.

Can I become a citizen after I am granted permanent residency?

Yes! If you live within the country for five years as a permanent resident, you will be able to obtain citizenship through naturalization. To be eligible for this, however, you must have been physically living within the country for at least half of those five years – and must have not left for a time period longer than six months.

How will I be kept informed of my case?

We understand the importance of communication and transparency between attorney and client. Although we would like to talk to you weekly by telephone, that would be neither practical nor productive. Legal matters have a way of stretching out over long periods of time. In order to keep the cost of legal services down while maximizing communications, we will strive to keep you informed when anything important happens and to respond to your questions in a reasonable time. In addition, we will inform you when your presence is required, either in our office or in court.

What do I do when I have a question?

We are interested in your questions and we want you to ask them. Sometimes we are required to be out of the office, even for days at a time. When in the office, we meet with clients, complete research, review documents, or prepare contracts, briefs or pleadings. For the most efficient and quickest response please contact one of our legal assistants, as they have a working knowledge of all aspects of your case. If the assistant cannot answer your question, every attempt will be made get the answer for you, or arrange to have your attorney contact you as quickly as possible as we understand your concerns and issues. Above all, leave a message so we know your concern in advance. If you do that, we will always try to get an answer back to you even if your attorney is out of the office when you call.

What will the legal service cost?

You are entitled to know, to the extent that we can reasonably inform you at your first visit, what your fee will be. We encourage a frank, open discussion about our fees with each client at the time of the first interview.
Lawyers are paid under various fee arrangements.

Hourly fee:
 On an hourly fee basis, fees are based on an hourly rate for services rendered. A detailed, itemized bill will be given to you showing all work done on your case. This explanation may come monthly or at the end of your case, whichever way you choose to be billed. Unless otherwise agreed, the hourly fee basis will be the presumed fee arrangement.

Flat fee: 
On a flat fee basis, your legal fee is a stated sum for agreed upon services. No accounting will be made.

Contingency fee: 
On a contingency fee basis, your legal fees will be based on the amount of recovery we get for you; no recovery, no fee. You may have the option of choosing this plan in lieu of hourly charges. Not all cases qualify for the contingency basis; we will tell you if yours does. In either case, we will prepare for you an employment agreement setting forth the fee arrangement.

Other potential fees:
 A pre-payment will often be required in order to begin to process your matter and you will be kept advised as to how that pre-payment is being used. Bills will be sent to you periodically showing your charges and payments.

Certain cases may have a minimum fee. This means that no hourly accounting will be made unless excess time is expended.

We try to keep legal fees as reasonable as possible. The amount of services required, however, is not fully within our control. We discuss with our client options for services and the benefits of services. Sometimes, however, services are directly related to an opposing party’s action or inaction. Please feel free to discuss fees with your lawyer.